Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Indian Lake/Moose River Plains

Post subject: MRP Trip
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm 
Veteran Member

I started on the Sabael trail which was pretty decent. No mud holes like I was expecting. All the trails were nice and flat. They all had ice underneath but I had no problems even without studs. It was a really smooth and enjoyable ride up to MRP. Saw lots of sled coming from Old Forge into Indian Lake. . MRP had a few big rollers but most of it was flat and groomed. No sign of the great melt down up there. Old Forge trails were in great shape. Trail 5 was getting a little worn but still OK. Made it up to Stillwater Reservoir which was mostly snow with patches of ice. I took it slow. All in all it was a great ride. I couldn't believe what a difference 3 inches of snow can make. My advice is don't sit on the couch thinking that the riding isn't good. What I saw was really decent.

Post subject: Re: MRP Trip
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 am 

Good to hear that news glad you had a decent ride and thanks for the update!!! :rev: :rev: I am definately playing hooky from work this week!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 am 
Site Admin

It's all relative...

I talked to a guy who rode to Indian Lake yesterday from Old Forge and wished he hadn't continued from Headquarters into Indian Lake.

If I was able to offer the guy a trailer ride to the end of Cedar River Road for $50, I think he would have gladly taken that offer.

Oh well... At least he made it to Indian Lake Restaurant and had a good lunch here whilst dropping some money in town. :D

Needle is pointing up this week!

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Reach thousands of snowmobilers:
Become an advertising partner with ilsnow.com

Direct ALL advertising queries to: ilsnowcom@gmail.com

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 am 
Veteran Member

You have to be a little rugged to ride the trail up to MRP. Yes it's narrow it has some steep climbs and it had some icy spots underneath. But it didn't have the back-breaking bumps that it sometimes has. I'll take it like that anytime. I think the Old Forge guys are looking for wide and fast trails which this one certainly is not.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Happy Trails wrote:
You have to be a little rugged to ride the trail up to MRP. Yes it's narrow it has some steep climbs and it had some icy spots underneath. But it didn't have the back-breaking bumps that it sometimes has. I'll take it like that anytime. I think the Old Forge guys are looking for wide and fast trails which this one certainly is not.

The guy said he was banging rocks and skidding on ice all the way through. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But I think you're right about Old Forge guys looking for wide and fast trails. After I ride Old Forge all day and I'm headed back home, I'll stop at Headquarters for about 10 minutes to compose myself for battle with the 16+ mile stretch to the former Arctic Cat Dealer, no matter how good or bad that trail may be.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 pm 
Veteran Member

It would be nice if that trail could be improved a bit. It would be a good feeder trail to Indian Lake for struggling businesses.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Happy Trails wrote:
It would be nice if that trail could be improved a bit. It would be a good feeder trail to Indian Lake for struggling businesses.

That trail is already quite a bit better than it used to be. Logging operations have widened the trail in a lot of places. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing that can be done to widen the trails in State land.

No matter what is done with that trail, you'll always have a significant number of Old Forge riders who will feel claustrophobic riding to Indian Lake compared to seasonal roads that are 20 feet wide.

Indian Lake snowmobiling and Old Forge snowmobiling aren't even comparable items...

Darrin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm 
Veteran Member

I enjoy all snowmobiling. I’m just happy to be able to make big loops. I like riding on the occasional goat path.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:19 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Main corridor trails on state land are limited to 9 feet wide. There are also limits on what can be done in terms of rock removal, grading, etc. However there is some leeway and if the state gets enough complaints it is possible to get some improvements. I would first contact the local club, but if they tell you that can't get the state to do anything or let the club do anything then contact the DEC. Enough complaints and there will be some action taken.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Board index » Trail Reports » Indian Lake/Moose River Plains