Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

Hi everyone,, I probably should not reply to all of this but I will. please take this as my personal opinion.. Fri morning I received complaints about oxbow trail, I made a few phone calls and in my opinion that trail was neglected all week and needed to be groomed. After many emails and calls I was told there was nothing they( the club) could do and it would be groomed sat, sun, and Monday morning.. and so far it has been done just that. The snow was terrible for grooming with the ice under it and being nothing but fluff. I was also promised that things will be discussed in the upcoming board meeting..
Page street groomer was broke and I was not told of this until this morning - communication is key.
O.k. moving on.. I sent groomers out to perkins and all of our trails (2 miles, bypass, wolf hill, silver hill) Tuesday, wed, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and I went back out sat night. Our trails got pounded (GREAT) this means people are riding. Its raining now and both clubs are out grooming.. and people are still riding.. I can't pull rabbits out of body parts and I can only hound clubs so much to groom - they are volunteers - the snow is now mashed potatoes and we will get colder temps and be able to pull snow into the trails to cover the dirt showing. I apologize for any upset sleders, but it's still free to use our trails and I love the fact that are parking is full.. And, oh yeah, the difference most of the time between flat trails and bumpy trails is your thumb.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm 

Thank you sleddog for your honest and respectable reply. I have been a die hard spec rider for 15 years. I cant rave enough to all my fellow riders about how far the area has come when it comes to the trails, the clubs and the grooming. I jumped the gun a bit and ranted on here, just about the connector trail mostly, because it had turned to trash before weekend even started. I realize it was a trifecta. Alot of fluffy snow with no base or icy base, eager riders rushing to ride even midweek and equipment/ busy volunteers. I guess in some aspect ive grown accustomed to the outstanding upkeep that our clubs do! I still believe that the speculator area has some of the greatest riding around.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am 
ILSNOW Freak

I rode pretty much everything in Speculator area and out to Ohio over the weekend. I will agree that the Oxbow/Sacandaga trail was bad - probably one of the worst trails I rode over the weekend. That trail sees a lot of traffic so it's challenging to keep it in good shape under good snow conditions. The fact is that it was not in good shape.

To me the problem with the original post is that it went beyond a trail report with the comments like "embarrassing" and the finger pointing, etc. I hope people still give honest trail reports - isn't that the point, so others can make decisions and know what to expect? We can have honest trail reports that say trails are bad without trying to assign blame. If a trail is bad, report it as bad.

For all of the reasons previously mentioned, the trails I rode over the weekend were a mixed bag. The best trails I rode were in Morehouse on Saturday morning. The groomers were out and the trails were awesome. Everything else was somewhere between OK and pretty bad. But I rode over 250 miles this past weekend and glad I did.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 am 
ILSNOW Legend

Got to add my 2 cents here. Did'nt ride towards Spec on Saturday bur heard about the problems with the soft snow and the bumps on Pleasant Riders sections and told the guys sitting at the Powley Place on the Powley Rd that day, that just as Spike said and all you guys that volunteer. Soft snow (wont stay packed) trail rippers, work schedules, plowing their own selves out., All of the above. We rode to the bow for dinner on the short trail from Piseco Lake Friday nite. Again the best I seen it for the snow conditions. Found out that Matt W. has been helping out here in between plowing for the town.
A big thanks to you guys who volunteer to do what you can, when you can.
Ron & Derrie
PS The guys I talked to said at 9 AM Saturday morning they could not find a place to park at the fire company in Spec. They had to go to Mason Lake lot which filled up while they were unloading.
PPS The parking lot on NYS Rt 10 at the sand pit had 9 trailers in it at 11 AM Friday. I dont think I ever saw this many trailers here.
Moral here is. A LOT OF SLEDS WERE AROUND THIS PAST WEEK END RIPPING AND TEARING

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:24 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

I had a group ride from the firehouse in Speculator to the Hook and Ladder in Tug Hill on Thursday 2/8. 174 Miles one way with only a few wrong turns. Mid week riding was the way to go. Don't think you are going to show up on Friday after work or Saturday morning and get mid-week flat trails. We had a mixed bag the whole trip. Some good, some bad but no ugly.
We returned on Saturday 2/10 and just about everything but the woods trails around Ohio were whooped. It's what you should expect with the amount of traffic.
I also witnessed those "idiot piles" most of the trip. :dead horse: You'll never fix that. Those riders are easy to find. Sit at an intersection and listen to them rip on that pipe. You'll hear them coming a mile away.

Thank you to the fellow groomers and club members that make it happen. If you aren't part of the solution you are probably part of the problem! Don't complain until you've sat in the seat!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 pm 

Read them and wheep weather report from ilsnow sounds horrible for presidents week,,looks like the blowtorch is coming for the north east..with very warm weather and of coarse lots of rain...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Adks.legend wrote:
Read them and wheep weather report from ilsnow sounds horrible for presidents week,,looks like the blowtorch is coming for the north east..with very warm weather and of coarse lots of rain...

This one...

http://www.ilsnow.com/2018/02/12/read-em-and-weep/

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Reach thousands of snowmobilers:
Become an advertising partner with ilsnow.com

Direct ALL advertising queries to: ilsnowcom@gmail.com

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 am 

Your perception of grooming is a matter of when you're riding and where you're at. If you were fortunate enough to be riding around here on Saturday and Sunday, you'd have found a number of parked groomers - at the top of Powley Road, in Speculator, at Perkins Clearing, and on Page Street. BUT NOT ON THE OXBOW/SACANDAGA/FAWN LAKE TRAILS!! NOT EVEN IN THE RAIN ON SUNDAY!!!!!

Those guys were gettin' it done! Both days, and in the rain. Which makes the offered criticism of their operation pretty lame. "Bumpulator"? Really? (How is it I've been riding here for 30 years and never heard that knee-slapper until now.)

It's one thing to ride a rough trail but know that the club is working on it and doing what can be done - particularly given the conditions and number of riders. Which is clearly what Pleasant Riders was doing on Saturday and Sunday. It's a whole other thing to get to the end of a rough trail and find a groomer parked and doing nothing but growing rust. The Pleasant Riders prove that grooming can be done during the day - on a weekend - even on a trail like the Sacandaga-Fawn Lake-Outhouse trail. A truly beautiful sight.

Three cheers for Pleasant Riders and their groomer operators - top dogs in my book!!! When you're registering your sleds next year, remember what club was out there gettin' it done!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

You must have been one of the many riders that passed me during my run.
We were out Sat morning - Monday midday. I'd say 98% of the riders on the trail didn't spin at all.
We'll be out again mid week and again multiple times presidents week , weather permitting.
Glad you appreciated our work and got an enjoyable ride.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 am 
ILSNOW Legend

Spike
I was always told you cant drag when the snow is wet and sticky. It balls up and wont drop out of the drag.
How come you can groom during the rain and warm snow conditions and Arietta cant.
Ron

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:40 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

it's not hard with a big machine. I prefer it packy
a skandic is a different story. it can't pull it or dump it

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing