Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Inlet/Old Forge

Post subject: 1-6-17 Ride Report
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:10 pm 
ILSNOW Legend

Unloaded at North St parking about 8:15am, had a couple of riders new to the area along with us.
We did a quick warm up ride on the inner loop trails, all in primo shape, only around 10'F, but sunny skies.

Went back into town and had breakfast at the Front Door Diner.
Back out on trail 1 heading north, very nice. Took the turn for Brantingham, trail was fair to good.

When we got to C7B the trail was super flat, with ice under a layer of snow, fast. Rode down to Kovac's. Returned back east, lots of traffic by this time.

Took C7B all the north to Stillwater Rd. Trail was in super condition!

Rode east on S85 (Stillwater Rd) to the Stillwater Inn. The road had snow but had been recently plowed with sand thrown.
Very few people had ridden the res and only from the south. No one had come from the far east end.

Turning south we took the Stillwater Big Moose Rd edge, a little more snow on the road.
We jumped off the road and picked up trail 1 then back on the road edge into Big Moose Station and had lunch at the Station.

Went back out on trail 2, another nice smooth trail! Followed it down to trail 29, great condition!
Down to trail 3, great shape as well. Did Malley Loop and a few others, even Bud's Run was in great condition!

The web site on Thursday said trails were fair to good, but we found nothing but good and most in great shape. Wish I could have ridden today as well.
Cato.

Post subject: Re: 1-6-17 Ride Report
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Well, perhaps it was good you didn't come back for seconds on Saturday.

Heard there were at least 6 reported accidents with injury with the coroner being called to one of them.

Very busy day for Old Forge EMTs...

Seems like we get a weekend like this every January.

And people wonder why they can never get me out to ride on a weekend. Just isn't fun when you gotta look out for loose cannons all day...

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Reach thousands of snowmobilers:
Become an advertising partner with ilsnow.com

Direct ALL advertising queries to: ilsnowcom@gmail.com

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm 
Rookie

Darin,
I'm with you. My wife and I will no longer ride Old Forge during the day on Saturdays. And there are certain trails that for us, are "night only" due to narrowness, numerous blind corners, and the seemingly growing population of nut cases out there.
I was broad sided on Sheldrick run by some punk on a new 850 SkiDoo. Almost made it into the ditch on my side before he hit me, luckily on a 45 rather than head on. This jerk was passing on a blind curve!!. Of course he and his three buddies denied it after I got the Webb police involved just to get his insurance info.................What is it with these losers passing on a curve???? Same thing almost happened to me on Trail 5 (near Daikers of course). Some punk, racing his buddies almost hit me. This time he had enough time to get back into his pack before hitting me.....Once again on a freaking corner!!
Earlier that day on the 10 mile portion of the Braningham trail (the part that has countless blind corners) after the ride to Braningham, I commented to my wife "someone is going to get killed on this trail". On the way back to OF, sure enough, a deceased rider lay on the side of the trail. No idea what happened, but never have I seen such a disregard for other peoples lives than I witnessed this past Saturday.
Too bad a few scumbags have to ruin it for everyone.

Mark

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

drop the sleds back down too 340 and 440 :!:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Back in the day we had just as much fun on even less than 340s. Snowmobiling would have been better off if horsepower was limited to below 50.

The majority of riders are safe and responsible, but there is a significant percentage of sociopathic idiots. They don't care about anything but the immediate adrenaline rush provided by unsafe speed and "aggressive riding." They are just users who don't lift a finger to help and they are oblivious to the problems they are causing. Trails get closed and responsible cautious people leave the sport every year. The club volunteers are getting older and there aren't enough new younger replacements.

The more I see, the more I think the idiots will eventually kill the sport despite the best efforts of dedicated club volunteers, especially in this state. :sad:

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:21 pm 

Unfortunately the aggressive riders are the ones that are targeted by the manufacturers. They spend the most money on machines and accessories. I think more people leave the sport due to economics than the safety of it.

Board index » Trail Reports » Inlet/Old Forge