Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Snowmobiling Issues

Post subject: March Storm
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am 
Veteran Member

With the biggest storm to hit the Adirondacks in what seems years, I'm surprised at the lack of chatter, anywhere. I know a lot of the base is gone but with 18"-24" predicted and some cold weather in place, isn't anyone excited? Did all the clubs pack it in? Are all the gates locked? South Warren says they closed all the gates but may open some if they get 12" or more. Does anyone know if you can still ride MRP? Finally a Nor'easter that misses (sleet/snow/rain) the coast and gives it up for the North Country. Want to head up this week but not sure what's available and where to go. Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: March Storm
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 am 

I think that any club that has rideable snow and closes their trails before April 1st should have some funding withheld.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:03 am 
ILSNOW Legend

I totally agree. I just heard from a friend that was at the Pleasant Riders meeting last Saturday that the Club and the town of Arietta are all done. I would have hoped that they would have at least cut out the blow down, as there will no doubt be some riders trying to get to the Ox Bow from Morehouse and Stratford. To bad for the Ox Bow Inn. They could have used the extra business in view of the lousy winter we just had. You can still ride the Powley Rd and in Perkins if you trailer there.
Ron

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:11 pm 
Veteran Member

South Warren has opened the gates and the groomers are going out. We close our gates to prevent ATVs and Jeeps from destroying landowners property because we don't want to lose trails. It's easy to not be involved in a club and then complain about why trails are closed...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:55 pm 
Rookie

stupe wrote:
It's easy to not be involved in a club and then complain about why trails are closed...

Well put!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 pm 
ILSNOW Legend

I was talking about the trails in the town of Arietta. An ATV can and will get around a gate or blow down as they do in Salisbury. And I also agree the trails are closed for this reason, but the trails in Arietta are mostly on State Land. We don't have an ATV problem here cause if they are caught on state land, its a big fine.
It would have been nice just to have them cut out for todays storm. And they still might be cut out for this week end. We appreciate all the work the volunteers in the Clubs do. In Arietta the guys are paid by the town to maintain the trails.
At least I hope this will be the case for the Ox Bow Inn's business for this week end.
The manager of the Salisbury Club text my wife. They are going out tomorrow to groom and cut their trails out.
Ron

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Snowmobiling Issues