Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Snowmobiling Issues

Post subject: Sheriff Patrol?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:51 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Heres's a topic for discussion: The Hamilton County Sheriff's Department has I believe three boats that they use to patrol the lakes, One of those boats easily costs at least as much as a couple of snowmobiles and associated gear. Why is it that they have a boat patrol but no snowmobile patrol?

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post subject: Re: Sheriff Patrol?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 am 
Veteran Member

The deputies probably enjoy cruising around the lakes on a warm sunny day checking out women in bikinis. It isn’t as much fun standing in the woods freezing their butts off in the middle of the night waiting for a couple of snowmobiles to come along.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:20 am 

I don't know where you ride but around Speculator there are more than enough cops.
Last year was not terrible but the two previous years me and my kids got stopped almost every weekend in multiple places. Many times by the same cops who insisted on us pulling out all paperwork and my kids certificates. Sometimes more than once a day.
Started to be a real pain. I am assuming that is part of the reason why the place is becoming a ghost town and every business is for sale.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am 
Veteran Member

I agree that registration checkpoints do nothing for safety and do seem to eventually drive riders out of an area when they are overdone.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Registration checkpoints do nothing for safety. But DWI checkpoints would.

Don't understand why we can have DWI checkpoints for automobiles, but not snowmobiles.

One of the many things that don't make any sense...

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Reach thousands of snowmobilers:
Become an advertising partner with ilsnow.com

Direct ALL advertising queries to: ilsnowcom@gmail.com

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:59 pm 

They do.
Oxbow trail by the cemetery and Page Street where the trail crosses the road.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

MXZX wrote:
They do.
Oxbow trail by the cemetery and Page Street where the trail crosses the road.

I've been told by law enforcement they can only stop for DWI on snowmobile if there is probable cause.

Example: At a registration checkpoint, they can check for DWI only if they smell booze on your breath or see other obvious signs of impairment.

In other words, they can't just set there with a breathalyzer for the express purpose of stopping a snowmobiler for DWI, like they do on highway patrols.

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm 
Veteran Member

That darn constitution sure gets in the way of the police state. Speed enforcement would increase snowmobile safety more than targeting alcohol consumption.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

drzmatt wrote:
That darn constitution sure gets in the way of the police state. Speed enforcement would increase snowmobile safety more than targeting alcohol consumption.

I'd go for both. Excessive speed and alcohol consumption are plagues of snowmobiling, and one often goes hand in hand than the other.

Darrin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm 

I have been stopped at both locations (after dark) and the only thing they said to me at one location was "have you been to any bars tonight" never asked for paper work (page street) the other location they stopped me and asked me "have you had anything to drink tonight". Most of the time I am ridding I am with my kids so I do not look like your typical bar hopper.
I was under the impression that they were there to check for DWI. I would be very surprised if someone confirmed that they are not allowed to stop you for DWI alone because as I stated early they stopped me several times to look at my paperwork in the past.
I heard once but did not see first hand that they were giving breathalyzers on the Oxbow trail by someone who had just come up the trail. I was going home the other way so I could not tell you if it was true or not.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm 
Veteran Member

I dont think they can give a breathalyzer in a car either without probable cause. If they smell booze or some other sign they make you do some sort of test like walk the line or whatever before they can give you the breathalzer. Not 100% sure, never done one myself and been through plenty of them.

Im sure a car, sled or boat is the same, go through the checkpoint, answer a few questions but you cant be issued a breathalyzer without probable cause.

Can you imagine the complaining from most riders...drinkers and non drinkers...if they made every rider that came though a checkpoint take off his glooves, helmet head gear or whatever in the cold and blow in a breathalyzer? Theres a reason its not legal for an LEO to do so.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 pm 

freestylebackcountry wrote:
Heres's a topic for discussion: The Hamilton County Sheriff's Department has I believe three boats that they use to patrol the lakes, One of those boats easily costs at least as much as a couple of snowmobiles and associated gear. Why is it that they have a boat patrol but no snowmobile patrol?

I have a lot of respect for the Sheriff's office - they have an unbelievable area to patrol with scant resources. That being said, the State is willing to pay for half the cost of snowmobile patrols, so financially it can't be that much of a stretch to actually establish some form of snowmobile patrol. Combining winter patrol responsibilities with summer boat patrols, you could transition from seasonal employees to permanent (and likely better qualified) full-time employees - an added benefit.

I'm in agreement that trailhead (stationary) enforcement activities are relatively pointless. Spend some time on the trail - you will encounter people drinking on the side of the trail, not keeping to the right, and generally operating in a reckless manner (speed). It is these people that are a danger to everyone else using the trail systems. Sitting at a trailhead and checking registrations will do little to weed these people out of the sport.

One poster suggested that enhanced enforcement is a discouragement to tourists. I kind of doubt that. Rather, it is other reckless operators that discourage families from joining this sport. In fact, if I knew that the trails were regularly being patrolled, I'd feel a lot safer going out on weekends and using them. Regarding the deputies (and ECO's), while it is sometimes funny to see them in their tactical vests (waiting for Osama Bin Snowmobiling?) they're always quite pleasant, helpful, and courteous.

The statistics are tragically unavoidable. When measured against the number of registrations, the fatality rate of snowmobiling is double the rate of boating. Snowmobiling accidents occur at a rate of three times that of boats. These are well documented numbers that unfortunately include family members of the ILSnow nation. If it makes sense to have a navigation patrol to enforce boating laws, it also makes sense to have a snowmobile patrol to enforce snowmobiling laws. Why would you do one but not the other??? To suggest that on-the-trail enforcement is not necessary is the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and hitting the throttle. But, hey, maybe you just wanna go fast ............ :gunner:

I thought we flogged the hell out of this topic last year, no? :dead horse:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Chesterfoxes wrote:
The statistics are tragically unavoidable. When measured against the number of registrations, the fatality rate of snowmobiling is double the rate of boating. Snowmobiling accidents occur at a rate of three times that of boats. These are well documented numbers that unfortunately include family members of the ILSnow nation. If it makes sense to have a navigation patrol to enforce boating laws, it also makes sense to have a snowmobile patrol to enforce snowmobiling laws. Why would you do one but not the other??? To suggest that on-the-trail enforcement is not necessary is the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and hitting the throttle. But, hey, maybe you just wanna go fast ............ :gunner:

I thought we flogged the hell out of this topic last year, no? :dead horse:

If we keep playing the same game in the same way, we'll get the same results year after year...

But let's stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything is A-OK, because it's not that big of a problem. Right??

Darrin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

Maybe I don't understand the topic at hand, but I just don't know where you guys are ridding where you don't see LEO on the trail. Unless you are talking about ridding mid week in which case I can understand not patrolling the trails due to lack of riders.
I ride about 2k per season.
I leave out of Speculator and have ridden to just about any town that could be reached by snowmobile in the past 26 years.
The past 8 years or so I have seen a lot more LEO on the trail and at trail heads from multiple agencies. Not just Speculator but all over NY.
Do I think LEO is necessary. Absolutely. I have been run off the trail many times by some out of control speed freak. But I can also tell you I have also had slow riders or family groups lock their brakes and slide their back end to the left across the whole trail in front of me. The sport can be very dangerous. Fast, slow, or even just sitting at the side of the trail.
So are you guys saying their is no LEO on the trail or just not the Sheriffs dept.?
Because again if you are not seeing LEO on the trail I just don't know where you are ridding unless it is mid week.
Maybe I just have my head in the sand.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Chesterfoxes wrote:
... the State is willing to pay for half the cost of snowmobile patrols, so financially...
Actually it's 75% reimbuiresment under the new law.

I'd like to see more on-trail patrols in the trouble spots where people tend to be riding out of control.

Also strict enforcement of the exhaust regulations because that piercing braaaaap really turns a lot of non-snowmobilers off. It can turn a casual cross country skier or snowshoer in to a snowmobile-hating "environmentalist" pretty quickly.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Snowmobiling Issues