Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Snowmobiling Issues

Post subject: North Creek Railroad
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:50 pm 
Veteran Member

Can anyone give any insight to the R/R in North River ? Last year I read you could ride North of a certain mile marker in North River but not sure about this year. Saw someone had finally broken the trail north out of North River.

Post subject: Re: North Creek Railroad
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 pm 
ILSNOW Legend

The railroad had stated a couple of years ago that riding below mile marker 2.2 approximately was off limits, but was OK to the north if clubs got permission, or something to that effect. I believe that is near the highway crossing between North River and North Creek.
It should be OK to ride north of where Rt 28 turns away from the tracks and climbs the mountain just past North River.
When I came by a week ago, it had not yet been broken.
This summer or fall, I spoke to a ticket agent in North Creek who said the RR may run trains up to the mine when they had enough orders to justify a train. So far, they haven't run any during the winter, or we would have seen the track plowed. My guess is they won't run any until summer. They have ore cars stored on a siding near North Creek. (I don't know if they have ever run a train to the mine yet.)
I do not know the RR's current stance on sleds, but I have not heard anything counter to their earlier announcement, and there are not any signs at the crossing above North River banning sleds.

Garmin GPSmap 62S
-20 Sleeping Bag

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:53 pm 
NYSSA Trails Coordinator

This is what we at NYSSA was alerted to back in Nov 2012 in regards to this rr section:

"Snowmobile traffic from North River to Tahawus in Essex County will be permitted with the following conditions: 1) No use of the railroad corridor for snowmobile purposes will be permitted south of Mile Post NC 2.05 at North River. Signage will be posted.
2) Each snowmobile organization must execute our standard right of entry agreement, similar to the arrangement reached with the prior owners of this corridor. Questions regarding this notice should be directed to Justin Gonyo, the Saratoga North Creek Railway Manager, @ 518-495-9244."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 pm 
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell even though there are tracks on the RR north of said marker no club has taken ownership of that trail on the corridor because essentially from the north it would end in the middle of nowhere between North River and North Creek, and going north it would require parking. Bottom line it is only good for those who live near this railroad. Once you get to the north near Newcomb there is no trail to get to Newcomb or Minerva unless you know the area. Probably a nice scenic ride though!

Maybe someone will correct me on my assumptions

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:34 pm 
NYSSA Trails Coordinator

rideacat wrote:
As far as I can tell even though there are tracks on the RR north of said marker no club has taken ownership of that trail on the corridor because essentially from the north it would end in the middle of nowhere between North River and North Creek, and going north it would require parking. Bottom line it is only good for those who live near this railroad. Once you get to the north near Newcomb there is no trail to get to Newcomb or Minerva unless you know the area. Probably a nice scenic ride though!

Maybe someone will correct me on my assumptions

That's what I understand as well. Hopefully when the Essex Chain of Lakes has the connecting trails to the communities of Minerva, Newcomb, and IL we will have a club take on that northernmost section of this rr corridor as a funded trail.

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Snowmobiling Issues