Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Free For All

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 am 
ILSNOW Legend

Just in case some of you folks out there did'nt know. The DEC is being sued by the environmental group called Protect the Adirondacks for building highways thru the Forest Preserve for snowmobiling. So they call a trail. They claim the trail building of this size is in violation of the State Land Master Plan.
They found a judge who sided with them and stopped all new trail construction. No more cutting of trees, only blow downs on existing trails.
Its in its second year for the new trail from MRP to Rackette Lake and now they added the new trail from Indian Lake to Newcomb. Its going to trial.
Although when I ask about the UMP for Ferris Lake. (when is it going to be out for public review) The answer I get is. Its being worked on. I have heard that two trails here are a real thorn in the environmental groups side and thus the hold up. Even though these are existing trails, maybe they are on hold because the DEC is afraid to do any work on them until the law suit is settled.
Trails in question penetrate to far into the interior of the Preserve according the Eco Freaks. Trail (C4J) from Morehouse to Mosquito Hill (town of Ohio) and trail (C4K) from Salisbury to Ohio.
NYSSA has intervened on our behalf.
Rob Stegman (director, region 5 DEC) feels the DEC will win as they obeyed the SLMP by creating a cap on trails in the preserve and are following all the guide lines and are being carefull not to exceed them.
Anyway, I hope the Geeenies go broke with lawyers fees. The DEC has the State lawyers for us.
Ron

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am 
Rookie

One for the good guys!!! From Jim Rolf (NYSSA): The lawsuit that Protect the Adirondacks brought against the NYS DEC and APA regarding cutting trees on snowmobile community connector trails has been dismissed!

https://scontent.fslc2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...23&oe=5AC4E3BA
Missed you at The Mill Rock this summer, Ron. See ya on the trail (Oxbow)! :letitsnow:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 am 
Site Admin

A win is a win, but I'd be curious to know how much it cost the taxpayers to defend against this frivolous suit.

There is no doubt in my mind that Protect the Adirondacks will try another bite of the apple, even if it's somewhere else in the Adirondacks.

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Reach thousands of snowmobilers:
Become an advertising partner with ilsnow.com

Direct ALL advertising queries to: ilsnowcom@gmail.com

Board index » All Things Snowmobiling » Free For All