Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Arietta/Piseco/Powley Road

Post subject: Groomers
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am 
ILSNOW Freak

A big thank you to the folks who stepped up to the plate and made life nice the past few days. It sounded like they considered shutting down for the season, but did a great job with the "bonus snow" !

Post subject: Re: Groomers
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Rode out to Haskell's and back yesterday. All Piseco/Areitta trails were good.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

All our groomers put in a lot of work after the high winds to get all the trees cleaned up. We had workers out before and after the snow storm.
If it hadn't snow 24+ inches we were done but when it hit we went back after it like it was a fresh start of the season.
No one ever sees all the effort it takes to clear the amount of blow downs but as the person filling out the work log i can tell you we had close to 30 man hrs in just trees on just one trail
That didn't count packing and grooming which was another 15 hrs.
A lot of work for a 7 mile trail but our crew did an awesome job in less than ideal conditions
Thanks to Rick S, Mike O, Dave K, Pete, Keith, and heck even i got a little time in.
Did i mention all volunteers
It at least gave everyone an extra week of decent riding

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:38 am 
ILSNOW Freak

I appreciate the efforts of all the groomers, as I think most riders do. I don't live in the area, so volunteering is difficult for me but I do join all clubs in the areas I ride and participate in fundraisers to try to do my part. I also try to ride responsibly and not tear up the trails you work so hard on. I carry a small hand saw and try to take the time to clear small obstacles when I encounter them.

Being primarily a weekend rider, I expect the normal wear and tear of a lot of traffic, but I can't for the life of me figure out the joy some people seem to take in shredding the trails for no apparent reason other than hearing their exhaust scream.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 am 

Amen to that brother! Nothing other than getting run into is more discouraging than grooming to the end of the line and returning to find the trail you just" straightened the curves and flattened the hills "torn to shreds!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:12 am 
ILSNOW Legend

I love trail rippers and scumbags who throw their beer cans on the trails, like the slobs who left a pile of beer cans at the out house on the Fawn Lake Trail.
I only rip the trails that Al grooms. Ha Ha
A big thanks to all you guys in Morehouse for all you do on your trails.
Al--That was us sitting at the fire co. last Sunday when you went to the town barn. I think that was you. I would have left my beer cans there but I need the 5 cent deposit.
We were going to go down to Mosquito Hill but the trail was closed so We went on to Harry's (Joe Gag) and shot the bull with him for a while
Ron

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 pm 

A little snow to start the day half inch and now a steady light RAIN has been falling for several hours now looks like Mother Nature has thrown another curve ball for the next several days,,as rain and mild temps rule the weather forecast,looks like the end is in the very near future,,grooming in all local areas is done,,last groom was Monday and that was only in Perkins bare spots are growing by the hour,as the warm and rain pound down the remaining base,,,we are entering OR have already entered DIE HARD SEASON

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:29 am 

Hey Polecat
Sorry I didn't notice you Sun. That was the last run. The sign on the trailhead to Mosquito hill was only there so riders didn't go all the way out only to find they couldn't get through to Ohio or Salisbury Did a lot of work on that trail it should have been good all the way to the hill. Have an idea for trails in our area. Put F-troop in charge. Rob can handle stole sleds, Darrin and Digger can have speeding and DWI, you can take care of signage i.e. Support Trump and impeach Cuomo and raffle tickets. Vince can do habitate improvement and mushroom picking, and Den mamma can collect fines and administer punishments.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:04 pm 
ILSNOW Legend

Sounds like a great plan. Only me, Rob, and Darren are the only ones with sleds.
See you at the bow.
PS They are closing this Sunday night ( 4/2/17 ) and are re opening on May 6 to remodel the back room for a handy capped accessible rest room.
Polecat

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:06 am 

Thanks for the Oxbow info. Hope to see you all in May. Maybe we can plan some construction work.

Board index » Trail Reports » Arietta/Piseco/Powley Road